Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I learnt

Almost eight months after leaving the secure walls of Indraprastha College for women, and the daily routine of being the first one to reach the studio, giving missed calls, and free sms to all my classmates who were stuck in metro…or in traffic, months after I shared my morning coffee with Gayatri and got a quick bite of Maggi with Sakshi Saxena (extra chilies added), or finished Sesha’s tiffin, while she was still busy settling something…. I have all my memories as fresh as a Monday morning. Missing the ‘relaxed’ movie screenings and the not so relaxed ‘editing classes’, the idea discussions, the proposal submissions, the Saturday workshops, Meet – the – media and obviously Mise-en- scene.
Now, as I am back at the same place from where I started my journey, and waiting for life, luck and fate to decide the future course of action, I realize how much I have grown being a part of Mass Com. It has taught me more than the nuances of filmmaking and journalism, or the creativity in ad- making. It has taught me to think. Think beyond clichés, think for commercial approval, and think more for self- portrayal. It taught me how to blend what one wants with what the market demands.
I have grown, because I faced rejection. I faced betrayal. I faced politics. I faced back-stabbing. I faced everything that one never would want to. I learnt that bringing change is difficult but some things do change if we keep trying. I learnt that standing alone in times of trouble does not break you, it makes you. I learnt that some problems are best left unsolved. I learnt that a person once wrong is not always so, and a person always correct may someday be wrong. I learnt that MY OPINION does matter, if not to anybody else, it must matter to me. I learnt that it is never late to start, and once we start things come to an end (All BMMMC students have tested this in their research projects.). I learnt that efforts may not be recognized, but the result will always be. I learnt that one should work for oneself and not for someone else; otherwise there is always a situation of compromise. I learnt that sometimes the most usual thing finds an unusual expression. I learnt that no matter how complicated life seems at any point of time, when that time passes, what remains is a memory- that tells you that it was important to give that test of life.
In summation, I learnt that life gives you more than what you think you want from it. Maybe, at this point of time the present students who are occupied with their final film ideas, and all the exciting stuff that college life has to offer, will not relate with what I have said. But trust me guys, “Crib, Complain, Resist, Revolt, Change…but love this place… these are surely the best days of life.”
-SWEKSHA BHAGAT
(Batch 2005-2008)

1 comment:

  1. COPYCAT!!
    That's what I would call you for writing this. You have said so much that I and am sure almost all of us experienced and believe...whether we go public about it or not...
    Oh! I miss our AVPC! Our BMMMC!

    ReplyDelete